Thursday, November 03, 2005

So far...

I haven't been much of anywhere besides the University Campus and the row of shops opposite. I realized that my whole time in Baton Rouge I didn't make it much further either. The library is instantly familiar, with the same cast of characters and library problems as every other library I've been in. We can't afford the serials we subscribe to, we're running out of space and professors don't understand copyright. This weekend I hope to explore Suva a bit more, and am trying to find a house. I'm beginning to realize that this can be difficult, with things either being very expensive, or very sketchy, but little in between. Although am certainly better off than most Fijians, within the realm of westerners, I'm no diplomat or banker and the "executive homes" are a bit dear. There's only one TV channel, which is actually quite lovely, there is no wondering what else is on, or why something better isn't on. What's on is what's on and that's it. I've got a ton of DVD's but still will watch whatever it is that FijiOne thinks I should be watching, curious Australian soap operas, a completely baffling sub set of American TV (why this unremarkable sitcom and not some other?) as well as local news and a wonderfully non US-centric view of world affairs. Oh and they have Chicken flavored potato chips, that taste like chicken bouillon and poultry seasoning! I'll try to get photos up sometime soon.

4 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great, I wish you picked a paradise a little closer, so I could visit easier...shopping for an apartment in a strange land sounds like fun.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Various countries/cultures/regions have favorite chip flavors that are specific to their cuisine. Remember Old Bay chips in Maryland? The latest in the supermarket here is wasabi flavored. Any curry chips?

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roasted Chicken and Thyme potato chips are available in France. Also available: Bolognese potato chips.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger rose said...

I've also seen lamb and mint potato chip here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home