Thursday, November 10, 2005

Surrounded by enemies

As some of you may know I consider Bananas to be #1 on my enemy list. Now coming to Fiji, I tried to keep an open mind thinking 'perhaps fresh bananas right from the source may be different than the bananas I'm used to. After all, a vine ripened tomato is afar cry from a winter "tomato"' Well, after trying bananas here I realized that I still despise all bananas. And plantains too. Yes, I've tried them and they taist just like bananas. The problem is bananas are everywhere here! I came home last night and there were two bunches of bananas from the yard (yes there are banana trees in my new yard) in my kitchen. Then at work today, somebody gave me a banana from his yard! I can't bring myself to decline these offers of bananas, however I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. Perhaps this is bananas "season" and the problem will go away when the season ends, but I suspect that this is not the case. On the other hand, my favorite fruit, pineapple, is also readily available, delicious, cheap and even come in adorable baby sizes!

6 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We've got moonlight on the sand, we've got sunlight on the sea, we've got mangoes and bananas you can pick right from the tree..."
Oscar Hammerstein II

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bananas must be Fiji's zuchini.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger rose said...

Zuchini is #2 on my enemy list!

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll protect you from those yellow enemies...by eating THEM!!! muaahahahahahah!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sugest you employ the banana surplus in practical jokes. Just peel and toss!

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share Rose's extreme distatste for bananas. They're secondary chemistry is unbearable and detectable in this smallest amounts in a food item. I believe this is a shared gene. The other day, the brunch pastry tem at work left many leftover delicoius looking chocaloate muffins, which seemed way better tghan the standard nut-and-or-dried fruit varieties. Upon first bite, I discovered that they were in fact chocolate-banana muffins. Only a shot of whiskey could change the "allergy" everyone assumed I must have up[on immediate regurgitaion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home