Thursday, December 15, 2005

TV

Even in the states, I've been tricked into folowing reality programming due to sheer exposure. FijiOne's policy of being only one channel causes me to be exposed to all sorts of TV I might not otherwise watch. Because I can't, you know, just turn off the TV. I'll just watch whatever is presented to me. I'm terrible. I know. So I've been hooked into watching the Amazing Race. Of course FijiOne's policy of delayed programming also means that I just spoiled the ending for myself by finding those links. I would describe the Amazing Race as combining all of the stress and hassle of travel, removing any of the relaxing aspects of vacations, removing any meaningful experiences of world travel and adding the stress of competition. Yuck! I have no sympathy for any of the contestents, as they pretty much knew what they were getting into. I hated the program the first two times it came on. Now I can't wait until the next episode and the next season. Wait, that's how I feel about all reality programming!

2 Comments:

At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading some about the show via your link, I see that some people seem to make a career out of being on reality shows. To what end? They don't all win money, do they? Not many appear to be trying to launch a modeling/acting career. Even a local person who was on The Bachelor had also been on a similar program previously and was planning on getting on another one! Looking for love? It amazes me what some people will do to be on tv, and often shown at their worst.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger rose said...

In today's celebredy worship world, where people can be famous for being famous, getting on TV can be a proxy for other types of success, I suppose. Another Even worse reality show on FijiOne The Ultimate Challenge also features a reality show regular. The linked article speculates on some folks' motivations for being on reality shows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home