Monday, December 12, 2005

Non-Specific and Casual Terms of Endearment

In Louisiana it was "darling", in Baltimore it was "hon", in Fiji I'm finding that it is "my dear". What was it in Portland? "Dude"?

The above phrases are generally terms for loved ones, but in particular places there seems to be a designated term that can be used with strangers without implying any sort of actual intimacy. Please comment if there are any specific terms used in your part of the world (I'm particularly curious about Richmond, VA) or to remind me if there was one in Portland.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got called 'baby' by a strange man at giant the other night in a completely uncreepy way.

-Alexa

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't really a term of endearment, but rather a generic pronoun of sorts. In Philadelphia, any object or peron can be reffered to as a "john". I believed that this was spelled like the boy's first name, but ispronounced a little more like "chaun". Its been used to reffer to objects in the way of "thingie" or "dealie" like "Could you hand me that chaun right there" or to a person who'd actual idenity is only significant as compared with another as in "Was it the one chaun you saw last week or that new chaun" or in refference to a location or areas as in "there were a lot of broads up in that chaun". Again, I am entirely unseure of the proper spelling of this term, as in "I have no idea how to spell it. I tried to look it up in the dictionary, but that chaun ain't in that chaun."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home