Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The money

Aside from never really knowing the value of things I buy 'do I think of it in terms of US money?', 'but I get paid Fijian' 'but what actually is my take home pay, I know I pay taxes but I haven't seen my first pay stub yet!', I feel like a child everytime I have to painstakingly look through all my coins and actually read the value of them rather than immediately recognizing them by sight. Part of the problem is that the coins are not related to the US coins I'm familiar with. There are many more to deal with one cent, two cents, five cents, ten cents, 20 cents, 50 cents and one dollar. See Fiji Coin Sets. And to make matters worse some of them are the same size as US coins but worth different amounts. The paper bills are colorful and interesting as most non-US currency tends to be, but I still find them difficult to distinguish as the $5, $10 and $50 are only slightly different shades of red! See Fiji Currency the colors are less distinct once the currency has been crumpled and dirtied through circulation. In summary, something I used to take for granted (identifying different denominations of currency) now takes special attention and leaves me feeling foolish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home