Thursday, February 23, 2006

Different usage...

English is the official language of Fiji, but it varies from American English in small usages. I'm not sure how much of this is British English, Australian English or uniquely Fijian English. In any case I've assembled a list of these small variants. None of them seem like much, but it adds up to a bit of disoriented.

As I learned from posting to this vary blog "choking" means to "financially solicit", not to throttle somebody with your hands until they cant breath.

Others include...

In Fiji a "parking lot" is called a "carpark"
Food is for "take away" not "to go"
You go on a "bushwalk" not a "hike"
Things are in "heaps" not "piles" (the hole's only known natural enemy)
Said heap is usually of "rubbish", not "garbage" or "trash"
You buy your ticket as a "return" not "round trip"
You use a "brush cutter" not a "weed whacker"
Your car has a "boot" and a "bonnet" not a "trunk" and "hood"
Your house has a "veranda" not a "porch"
You would wear a "vest" on a summer day, not a "tank top"
You put your groceries in a "trolley" not a "shopping cart"
A store has "trading hours" not "opening hours"
You find out when you're on the desk by looking at the "roster" not the "schedule"
You get "time-in-lieu" instead of "comp-time"
And you buy your liquor by the "nip" not the "shot"
"Cheap" in Fiji seems to imply only "inexpensive" and not "inexpensive and therefore of poor quality" as it does in the US.

Now I'm not saying that either usage is better, or correct. And I realize that there are shades of meanings, garbage and trash aren't really the same things. And I'm not even saying that these other uses are ubiquitous in Fiji. They're all just things I've noticed.

9 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger nzm said...

Now I know why I'm not understood half the time - especially in the US.

It was my upbringing in Fiji and the different words that we used!

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those mostly sound british, w/ an aussie-ism or 2... now i could give you a few canadian examples that are equally disorienting to me, even tho there's not an ocean separating us.

LOVING the blog; keep it up :)
pls ask R to email me so i can tell you about lib'ary skool in vanCouver!

slirt@hotmail.com

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger laminar_flow said...

Great article.

Fiji-English usage must not be confused with the idioms.

Like the U.S version of "Write me" instead of Write "to" me.

I guess you're going through a reverse culturalization; when compared to Fiji migrants to the U.S.

Another thing in Fiji is that, even though the nation has adopted the Metric system, people generally reference distance in miles.

Hence, the terms to locations in Suva on Kings/ Ratu Mara Road.

E.G

3 Miles = Nabua.

8 Miles = Makoi, Tovata, Narere.

9 Miles = Nasinu, Nakasi.

Yet the climate tempreture is referenced in Celcius.

Taking a bath also means taking a shower.

Shopping in Fiji means: buying the essentials.

Shopping in the U.S means: satisfying the urge, of window shopping.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Most of those words sound very Australian, except 'choking' of course! Phrases you might hear occasionally in Fiji are 'On the light' and 'Off the light' leaving out the 'Put'.
The language you hear amongst kids in Suva these days has a lot of slang that I just can't understand!
Must rush - I am between Pako Festa, a beachside barbecue and a niece's wedding an hour's drive away.
W.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Paleni said...

Here are a few others:
"tennis shoes" are called "canvas".
"coolers" are called "eski".
"change" by itself refers to a "change of clothes". A friend asked, "Did you bring your change?" and the first thing I thought was, "What does this have to do with money?"
They call the 1 and 2 cent pieces "copper" as they are made from that. I call them pennies, but that's a US term.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger rose said...

re: coins
When I first got here, I thought it was odd that the coins didn't have nicknames like nickel and dime. When I thought about it more I realized how wierd it was that in the US coins are called by these names that don't really indicate their value and how confusing that must be for others. I've been told that the dollar coin is sometimes called a saqamoli (that's what's depicted and named on the coin) but I've never really heard somebody call it that.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger rose said...

I just remembered a couple more, you "stay" at a place not "live" (stay to me implies something temporary) and you go to the "chemist" not the "pharmacy"

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do they call 'weed' in Fiji?

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of those phrases sound like UK English. Know what I mean!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home