Wednesday, February 01, 2006

We didn't do much this weekend. After taking forever to finish Zola's His Excellency, I read The Mosquito Coast in a weekend. I think one of the reason that His Excellency went so slowly was that it was all about political intrigue and I was much more interested in trying to figure out Fiji's current situation than in fictional, French politics from over a hundred years ago. The Mosquito Coast was a much easier read and riveting. We also went to see Underworld : Evolution, a not so good, modern vampire, sequel. We've also totally gotten into watching 24 on dvd. TV shows on dvd are so addicting, sometimes I can't imagine watching them as aired and having to wait a full week between episodes!

3 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

R and R~ greetings to you both...Glad you are staying current with your reading even if the tv programs are a year old. ha ha. Things are so ultra wet here that I am starting to develope gills. oh and they are not just on the back of my neck. HAA. The weather in P town is dreadful like the most bothersome ever. I am ready to soak up the steamy hot days and nights, well of course in Fiji too.. GREAT CONGRATS TO THE arrival of yo stuff.. whoowhooo. be well be rich and happy. lov Mel

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same Mosquito Coast as one of my favorite movies (fav actor Harrison Ford, fav line "If it doesn't wash up with the tide, we don't need it")! I'm sure it was a good read, even if you've seen the movie, although I still can't remember how it all ends no matter how many times I see it.
Looks like the author has written a lot about far-flung watery places. Have you read any of his other works?

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger rose said...

I read his travel-log "Happy Isles of Oceania : Paddling the Pacific" in preparation for the move which is how I even discovered that Mosquito Coast was a book and that he had written it. He=Paul Theroux. The most heartwrenching line from the book. When they're on the same lagoon shore where they're reliant on beachcombing, and the younger brother says "I hate this place, how long are we going to be here?" the mother replies "For the rest of our lives."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home